Head of Technical and Compliance for Nutrition
Chertsey (with national travel)
Chartwells, part of Compass Group UK & Ireland, is the leading provider of catering and support services to schools, colleges and universities in the UK. Chartwells works with over 2,000 education units including primary schools, secondary schools, independent schools, colleges and universities. Central to Chartwells is its Eat, Learn, Live ethos, which helps to educate young people about how to have a happy, safe and healthy lifestyle while contributing to a sustainable world.
Whether it be producing great food for pupils and staff or being involved in creating great hospitality events our teams have a passion for preparing food using fresh quality ingredients. Our belief is that it all starts with great tasting, healthy food that pupils look forward to and really enjoy.
Here at Chartwells we are currently on the lookout for a Head of Technical and Compliance for Nutrition.
Keeping our consumers safe and our employees appropriately informed is an integral part in everything we do at Chartwells, from the food we provide to consumers, to the training we deliver to our employees and the commitments we make to cater safely. Our drive is to ensure that our colleagues are supported and knowledgeable enough to do their role, to ensure we meet all legislative requirements and to ensure that every customer with a medical requirement is fed safely every single day.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an inspirational and enthusiastic to make a name for themselves within the food service industry
With this role, it is essential that robust strategies are developed and defined to cover all elements of the role from daily medical diet delivery, to training and auditing, and to ensuring our food offer is government compliant. Development of innovative nutrition initiatives to drive school meal uptake will be a key focus. Development and delivery of all IT solutions to support the delivery of allergen management and meal ordering will also be a responsibility of this role. This role will require a strong leader to manage a team and provide leadership in implementing the plans across the Chartwells estate, including the measurement and evaluation of success, and subsequently supporting operators with action plans to put things right. Focused work on auditing programmes (e.g MPRO5) and broad evaluation of the status of our business is top priority for this role.
Additional responsibilities also include the ownership of the Health and Wellbeing pillar of the Sustainability strategy. This role will lead on commitments made around plant forward eating across all sub sectors, mental wellbeing and our focus on employee health and wellbeing, and legal requirements to display nutrition labelling.
- Minimum BSc or BA degree
- At least five years work experience in the food industry
- Specific experience working in the education sector
- Experience working with children and adults with medical food/meal requirements is desirable
- Leadership skills with examples of managing large teams successfully
- Experience writing and executing strategy that encompasses various workstreams
- Experience evaluating the success of key initiatives and acting upon the results of that evaluation (e.g. project continuation with investment, or project termination follow evaluation)
- Ability to quickly gain credibility with key stakeholder groups
- Confident in communicating to large groups of people and controlling challenging meetings/conversations
- Confident in having difficult conversations
- Strong attention to detail, a really rigorous approach to quality
- Strong belief in upholding core principles of nutrition with a genuine desire to support the nutrition of future generations
- Experience liaising with clients/customers, ability to build rapport
- Must be willing to travel and stay away from home
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrates Compass values and recognition principles
- Professional, organised, presentable, efficient and self-motivated
- A passion for keeping up to date with research and/or willing to learn from experts in the team
- Excellent presentation skills
- Excellent IT skills
- Ability to manage a busy diary independently
As part of Compass, you have the opportunity to work behind the scenes at sports and leisure events, oilrigs and military bases, and in the heart of schools, hospitals, care homes, client offices and boardrooms – some 6,000+ locations across the UK and Ireland.
We do it all and so could you. Apply now and join the family!
We are an equal opportunity employer, we celebrate diversity and are committed to building an inclusive environment for all employees.
Please note that we reserve the right to remove this advert prior to the advertised date, dependent on the level of response received. You are therefore advised to apply at your earliest convenience.