Sous Chef - Leicester
Salary - Up to £13.00 per hour + Overtime
Monday to Friday (Occasional Weekends)
Chartwells, part of Compass Group UK & Ireland, is the leading provider of catering and support services to schools, colleges and universities in the UK. Chartwells works with over 2,000 education units including primary schools, secondary schools, independent schools, colleges and universities. Central to Chartwells is its Eat, Learn, Live ethos, which helps to educate young people about how to have a happy, safe and healthy lifestyle while contributing to a sustainable world.
We are looking for a Sous Chef to work alongside the Head Chef and support the Executive Chef in delivering all functions and hospitality across De Montford University including working lunches, sports teas, dinners and ad hoc events as determined by the school.
- To supervise the preparation and cooking of sufficient food to provide the agreed amount of customer choice with minimum wastage
- To ensure all food preparation is carried out in accordance with food hygiene procedures
- To ensure food is prepared to required standards checking for taste, presentation and quality
- To ensure food is served promptly and work is carried out quickly and efficiently to keep up when busy
- To ensure all food sent out is correctly garnished
- To ensure portion control, preparation and storage methods avoid wastage and keep down costs
- To assist in completion of relevant paperwork reproduction and wastage sheets, cleaning records etc.
- To ensure the kitchen and service area are clean, tidy and attractive during service
- Carry out accurate weekly stock takes
- To assist in the planning of menus ensuring that they achieve and maintain the budgeted food costs
- To make sure that you and your team meet all legal and company requirements for fire, health, safety and hygiene
- To look out for any problems or potential problems with safety or hygiene and report them to the Executive Chef
- All statutory, local authority of company policies and procedures are adhered to
- All records are completed to the company standard
- Ideally, you will have NVQ Level 1/2 in food preparation and cooking or equivalent
- Proven experience in Events
- Basic Food Hygiene certificate
- The skills to produce great food
- Self-motivated and the ability to work in a pressurised environment
- Team player
- A 'Can-do' attitude
- It is preferable that this person is qualified to NVQ level 3 in Professional Cookery or equivalent
As part of Compass, you have the opportunity to work behind the scenes at sports and leisure events, oilrigs and military bases, and in the heart of schools, hospitals, care homes, client offices and boardrooms – some 6,000+ locations across the UK and Ireland.
We do it all and so could you. Apply now and join the family!
We are an equal opportunity employer, we celebrate diversity and are committed to building an inclusive environment for all employees.
Please note that we reserve the right to remove this advert prior to the advertised date, dependent on the level of response received. You are therefore advised to apply at your earliest convenience.